**NEW** User Authentication and Password Boxes

Help, tips, discussion, and everything else about the Cipher online riddle.
Forum rules
NO SPOILERS; please read this before posting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1150
Gamemastertips
Site Admin
Current Level: 2

Re: **NEW** User Authentication and Password Boxes

Post by Gamemastertips »

nhey wrote: But it didn't work.
There are a couple levels with different usernames, and sometimes it requires a bit of extra work to find that out. You can PM me and tell me what level you're on etc.
~ The Cipher Master ~

UPDATE, 9/9/2018: If you PM me for level help, I'm more than happy to answer, but I may not be checking my forum inbox more than once a week (or less), so please be patient with waiting for a response. Thank you!

nhey
Current Level: 43

Post by nhey »

Gamemastertips wrote:
nhey wrote: But it didn't work.
There are a couple levels with different usernames, and sometimes it requires a bit of extra work to find that out. You can PM me and tell me what level you're on etc.
PMed :)
Oh Riddle, you crack my head

ralphjesy12
Current Level: 60

Post by ralphjesy12 »

cooooooooooooL .... :shock:
~~RALPH~~

clippit
Current Level: 20

Post by clippit »

Several months ago I entered one level at http://www.gamemastertips.com/cipher/[S ... ILERS].htm. I bookmarked it and haven't played it for a long time. Now I cannot enter this page anymore. I even don't know what is the level number:(

And suggestion: if you want Google not to archive these pages you can put `robots.txt` and disallow everything, or use

Code: Select all

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow, nosnippet, noarchive">
in html

Kawkowa

Post by Kawkowa »

clippit wrote:Several months ago I entered one level at http://www.gamemastertips.com/cipher/[S ... ILERS].htm. I bookmarked it and haven't played it for a long time. Now I cannot enter this page anymore. I even don't know what is the level number:(

And suggestion: if you want Google not to archive these pages you can put `robots.txt` and disallow everything, or use

Code: Select all

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow, nosnippet, noarchive">
in html
You're not that far in the riddle... it shouldn't be a problem retracing your steps back to the first level and saving the passwords for further use. Some of the solutions are probably still clear in your mind.

And, even through GMT didn't put those tags on every page, he DID add an robots.txt file and even requested Google to stop indexing them. That was not the whole problem, though. Some automated web services strangely seemed to be archiving links to the riddle, not to mention several forums on the web that contained direct links to late levels.

Adding a password system, apart from increasing overall security, stoped those people from progressing by following a simple link. So, even if someone get his hands on the URL somehow, he still need to have the password with him before moving on. ;)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Gamemastertips
Site Admin

Post by Gamemastertips »

^^^ What Kawkowa said.
~ The Cipher Master ~

UPDATE, 9/9/2018: If you PM me for level help, I'm more than happy to answer, but I may not be checking my forum inbox more than once a week (or less), so please be patient with waiting for a response. Thank you!

Kawkowa

Post by Kawkowa »

Though I doubt he'll ever read that. :roll:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

bluenochange
Current Level: 16

Post by bluenochange »

I think i have some troubles to pass the auth. every level with auth , when i answer the username and password correctly , it lead me to a page called Error 404 , i am sure the password is correct , because if i didn't find the url for next level correctly, it won't popup the auth windows, but a page called Error 404 directly , i have finished some level before , when i want to see that level again, i enter the password but it also lead me to 404 page.

Gamemastertips
Site Admin

Post by Gamemastertips »

bluenochange wrote:I think i have some troubles to pass the auth. every level with auth , when i answer the username and password correctly , it lead me to a page called Error 404 , i am sure the password is correct , because if i didn't find the url for next level correctly, it won't popup the auth windows, but a page called Error 404 directly , i have finished some level before , when i want to see that level again, i enter the password but it also lead me to 404 page.
You can't be totally sure that your username/pass is correct. PM me with all the info of what level you're trying to access and what you're typing in, and I'll try to help.
~ The Cipher Master ~

rnightshroud
Current Level: 1

Post by rnightshroud »

Not so useful tip: Always look at the source code.
Contact me via Discord in case of offline status: rnightshroud#9033
Le owner of RNS Riddle, residing somewhere on the web.