Level 12

Help, tips, discussion, and everything else about the Cipher online riddle.
Forum rules
NO SPOILERS; please read this before posting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1150
Kawkowa
Current Level: 60

Re: Level 12

Post by Kawkowa »

spycygrl wrote:EDIT: AH! I just got it! For the record, that's a HOMONYM (not a HOMOPHONE). "Homophone" is a word that sounds the same, but is spelled differently. A "homonym" is a word that is spelled the same, but has a different meaning.
Actually, "homophones" are words with the same pronunciation, regardless of the spelling. The word in question is, yes, both homophone and homonym. :)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

spycygrl
Current Level: 8

Post by spycygrl »

Kawkowa wrote:
spycygrl wrote:EDIT: AH! I just got it! For the record, that's a HOMONYM (not a HOMOPHONE). "Homophone" is a word that sounds the same, but is spelled differently. A "homonym" is a word that is spelled the same, but has a different meaning.
Actually, "homophones" are words with the same pronunciation, regardless of the spelling. The word in question is, yes, both homophone and homonym. :)
I guess the literal definition does include that, but I have more often heard "homograph" for the word in question, here. I merely mention it because use of "homophone" took me down the wrong path, at first, due to my narrow reading of the definition.

Gamemastertips
Site Admin
Current Level: 2

Post by Gamemastertips »

spycygrl wrote: I guess the literal definition does include that, but I have more often heard "homograph" for the word in question, here. I merely mention it because use of "homophone" took me down the wrong path, at first, due to my narrow reading of the definition.
I appreciate your word Nazi-ism. There aren't many of you around.
~ The Cipher Master ~

UPDATE, 9/9/2018: If you PM me for level help, I'm more than happy to answer, but I may not be checking my forum inbox more than once a week (or less), so please be patient with waiting for a response. Thank you!

spycygrl
Current Level: 8

Post by spycygrl »

Gamemastertips wrote:
spycygrl wrote: I guess the literal definition does include that, but I have more often heard "homograph" for the word in question, here. I merely mention it because use of "homophone" took me down the wrong path, at first, due to my narrow reading of the definition.
I appreciate your word Nazi-ism. There aren't many of you around.
Ha! Yes...sorry about that. As I said, it was likely to my detriment on that level.

p.s. I am so incredibly impressed with you & the way your mind works in the creation of these puzzles. Brilliant!

Gamemastertips
Site Admin

Post by Gamemastertips »

spycygrl wrote: p.s. I am so incredibly impressed with you & the way your mind works in the creation of these puzzles. Brilliant!
Thank you so very much! :)
~ The Cipher Master ~

UPDATE, 9/9/2018: If you PM me for level help, I'm more than happy to answer, but I may not be checking my forum inbox more than once a week (or less), so please be patient with waiting for a response. Thank you!

dodo
Current Level: 20

Post by dodo »

I ve just solved level 12 using the keys right in front of me.
You are really a inventor, gamemastertips. It's a brilliant one...
But i do not understand what is actually the connection between this riddle and homophones and also with the countries (mine is india).

Gamemastertips
Site Admin

Post by Gamemastertips »

dodo wrote:I ve just solved level 12 using the keys right in front of me.
You are really a inventor, gamemastertips. It's a brilliant one...
But i do not understand what is actually the connection between this riddle and homophones and also with the countries (mine is india).
Glad you had fun. If you know what a homophone is, you would understand. I had to specify a country because certain elements of the puzzle differ across the globe. If you didn't have any extra trouble, don't pay any attention to it.
~ The Cipher Master ~